SITXFSA002 – Participate in safe food handling practices
- 100% online training
- You will need to complete a work based assessment task – click here for details
- The nationally recognised statement of attainment issued is valid in all states.
- Course duration – 4 – 8 hours including assessment and work-based task.
- Please read our student guide (PDF, 745 KB) or more about your rights
- 5 Star Hospitality Training (RTO #45332) is an official training provider
$70.00 GST Free
This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to handle food safely during the storage, preparation, display, service and disposal of food. It requires the ability to follow predetermined procedures as outlined in a food safety program.
The unit applies to all organisations with permanent or temporary kitchen premises or smaller food preparation areas. This includes restaurants, cafes, clubs, and hotels; tour operators; attractions; function, event, exhibition and conference catering; educational institutions; aged care facilities; correctional centres; hospitals; defence forces; cafeterias, kiosks, canteens and fast food outlets; residential catering; in-flight and other transport catering.
Safe food handling practices are based on an organisation’s individual food safety program. The program would normally be based on the hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP) method, but this unit can apply to other food safety systems.
It applies to food handlers who directly handle food during the course of their daily work activities. This includes cooks, chefs, caterers, kitchen hands and food and beverage attendants.
- Australian residential and postal address
- Broadband Internet
- Latest version of a Compatible browser: Chrome (works best) / Safari / Internet Explorer 9+
- Speakers or headphones
- Desktop / Laptop / Ipad / Android / Mobile devices
- Students must successfully complete a language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) assessment prior to starting the course
- To complete this course you will be required to complete a workplace assessment task to demonstrate the required skills and knowledge in a suitable industry environment. As part of the course, the workplace supervisor of the student must complete an observation report of the student’s practical skills and sign a declaration that indicates the student is their employee and the workplace has the equipment/ resources required for assessment. Click here to view the workplace assessment task.
What you will learn
- Personal hygiene
- Food storage & temperature control
- Cleaning, sanitation & pest control
- Food Safety Plan, basic monitoring and record keeping
- Role and responsibilities of a Food Safety Supervisor
Unique Student Identifier (USI)
Starting from the 1st of January 2015, the federal government added a requirement that everyone undertaking nationally recognised training in Australia must have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).
During our course enrolment process you will be asked to provide your USI – or if you don’t already have one, we help you through the process of applying for your USI online. It is essential that the details you provide when applying for your USI match with the details and primary ID that you provide to us when you enrol. This is because these details must match for your statement of attainment to be validated by the Government system, otherwise, this may cause issues with the validity of your qualification.
In rare circumstances, you may need to speak directly with the government staff to provide further details. We will notify you if this is the case.
For more information see www.usi.gov.au
Learning Skills Required
To ensure you receive an adequate level of support with your training and assessment, please consider the following questions.
Do you consider yourself to have any disability, special needs, reading or writing difficulties that may have an impact on your ability to complete this online course?
Do you believe you have the literacy skills to read and interpret documents such as:
- In-house policies and procedures?
- Other plain English regulatory and advisory information issued by authorities such as signs and leaflets,
- Record keeping requirements and mathematical equations?
If you are not confident that you will understand any of the components of this online training, refer to our knowledge base or contact us and we will make arrangements to assist you in your training or offer you face to face training if available in your area.
How you will be assessed
The online course is delivered in 6 short sections with an assessment quiz after each section.
Section 1: Understanding contamination
Section 2: Typical workplace tasks
Section 3: Supervisors and food safety programs
Section 4: SimHotel – Receipt of goods – interactive simulation
Section 5: SimHotel – Food preparation – interactive simulation
Section 6: SimHotel – Hold, sell, display – interactive simulation
In addition, participants will be required to complete a work based task for Assessment.
A statement of attainment for the nationally recognised unit of competency
- SITXFSA002 – Participate in safe food handling practices
This qualification will be valid in the following states:
- Northern Territory
- Western Australia
- South Australia
- Australian Capital Territory – see NOTE
NOTE: ACT food safety supervisors must complete competency-based training in each of the prescribed units relevant to their industry sector. Currently, supermarkets, fast food outlets, cafes, restaurants, hotels, delis must complete the hospitality units. Convenience stores, grocers and petrol stations are able to complete the retail course. We will update these details if the situation changes. Please check the suitability of the course for your sector before ordering.
Food handlers must comply with the requirements contained within the Australia New Zealand Food Standards (ANZFS) Code (the Code).
In some States and Territories businesses are required to designate a food safety supervisor who is required to be certified as competent in this unit through a registered training organisation.
$70.00 inc GST